Proudly sponsored by The Rayton Meander - Copyright Reserved
Made by The Travel Channel - | Terms
Ditsong Museums of South Africa
OPENING HOURS OF DITSONG :
WILLEM PRINSLOO AGRTICULTURAL MUSEUM
Weekdays 08h30 – 16:00
Weekends and public holidays 09:00 – 16:00
Closed on Good Friday, Christmas Day and January 1st
1880 House Museum ......
De Oude Plaaswerf .......
The National Cultural History and Open Air Museums ......
Ditsong Museums of South Africa ......
However, culture is so valuable that it has to be kept for thousands of years,and passed on by one generation to another
HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM
The farm Kaalfontein on which the Willem Prinsloo Agricultural Museum is situated lies midway between Pretoria and Bronkhorstspruit on the old Bronkhorstspruit Road (R104). The farm belonged to Mrs,. Miertjie le Rouux (nee Prinsloo) and three generations of Prinsloo ancestors.
Miertjier’s great grandfather Willem Prinsloo, nicknamed Willem Wragtig, was a big-game hunter and bartered skins, ivory and horns for the farm Modderfontein on the Witwatersrand. Gold was later discovered on Modderfontein and he sold the farm for a small fortune to a mining company. With the money he purchased various bushveld and Highveld farms, including the farm Elandsfontein, which his daughter later inherited. Elandfontein was later sold to the Premier Diamond Mining Company in Cullinan where they still mine for diamonds today. Willem Wragtig also bought the farm Kaalfontein in 1889 but never lived here. His son Lang Willem and his family lived on Kaalfontein.
Miertjie le Roux inherited the farm and lived in the 1880 House Museum on the old farmyard until 1976. When Miertjie’s brother died in 1976 she donated 16 hectacres of the farm, including th 1880 house and outbuildings to the National Cultural History and Open-air Museum.
The National Cultural History and Open-air Museum purchased the portion of the adjoining farm on which the 1913 and 1927 homesteads are situated a few years later.
The development of the Museum took off in 1976 with the erection of the main building and storage area. The Museum was opened on 29 March 1980.
Telephone: (012) 736 2035 or (012) 000 0033
|Mampoerfees 2015 Program|